A few tools and techniques for the successful implementation and to derive positive outcomes of Game-based Learning are:
• Constructing an exploratory learning environment and mapping learning activities– engages the learner to gain meaningful experience.
• Setting clear directions and goals–the pedagogical approach must be selected to determine the type of game that is appropriate.
• Applying multimedia to enhance sensorial design– creating graphically compelling environments can enhance the learner’s engagement.
• Applying cognitive apprenticeship to assist the learning process –provide the opportunity for questioning, scaffolding and articulation.
• Ensuring positive game-play mechanics to enhance motivation and promote learning – fun, controllability, challenge, achievements and pacing can spark creativity in learners.
• Integrating community to facilitate cooperation and/or competition–a group experience could be facilitated through cooperation among participants, and competition could provide a sense of cohesion.
• Giving learners an appropriate level of control and access to resources –learners should be given an appropriate level of control and access to resources to select their activities and check their progress, and develop their own methods to reach a solution.
• Constructing balanced game rules and incorporating resource exchange mechanism –all learners must start with the same amount of resources and follow the same rules.