Creating joyful spaces!
Academic environment and amicable ambience are the beauty and fragrance that bloom like a flower to create a positive environment for cultivating good correlation between educators and students. Love, fun and freedom are the three pillars that make the education more result-oriented.
Gone are the days when teachers were entering the class with wrinkled eyebrows and unnecessarily creating an atmosphere of terror. The schools are now creating a home-like environment for students.
Expectations, perfection, justice, sensitivity, joy, shyness, embarrassment etc are the feelings that cannot be separated from learning. They play an active role in their personality development. Social and emotional learning is the process by which students apply their skills to know the values of emotion for developing in them an art of positive relationship with each other. Thus, social, emotional and academic relations are the framework of contemporary way of teaching that help to carry out the overall development of knowledge-seekers. The virtues of sincerity, cooperation, friendship, strength, emotional literacy, gender identity and relationship are the senses that create a social and emotional environment of school.
Building a good teacher-children rapport…
When emotions and learning go hand-in-hand, then school becomes a pleasure-giving place for all, even for children who are reluctant to attend classes. Educators should not consider the teaching as his/her profession only but they should open the closed doors of hearts to understand the emotions of knowledge-seekers. In fact, school is just like a ‘Home-Away-from-Home’ where children grow, play and learn.
Key ingredients for overall development…
Knowledge alone is not sufficient for overall development of children but it should be mingled with virtues. Body, mind, intellect and soul are the faculties of human beings to live a virtuous and meaningful life. Teacher is a role model of students and his/her way of living sets an example for students.
Towards a well-disciplined classroom…
The well-disciplined classroom ambience reflects the ethnicity and culture of the academic establishment. Body language, art of speaking, careful listening and filial reverence are the petals that combine and make a complete flower of discipline. The code of conduct should not be the imposition on students but a way of living for them. Shaping one’s identity can be done by treating them nicely by flowery words and ornamental sentences. Ethical perfection can be cultivated in students by inculcating in them the moral values. These virtues should not be imposed on students, otherwise the feeling of retaliation will develop in them. Love, care and affection are the elixir that can melt and change the heart. Before changing the nature and habit of a student, first we should change ourselves to set an example before him. Wrong attitude of student may disturb teachers and make them angry. Such fits of anger create a panic and make the amicable environment somewhat unfriendly just on a trivial issue.
Contemporary system of imparting knowledge has now changed and we have to move with the time but some virtues are still required to give an extra shine to the modern way of teaching. Waking up early, invocation of prayer, touching feet of parents and reverence to elders are the righteousness which should not change with time. Problem-solving teachers should point out the mistakes of students but before that they should admire their qualities also to get positive results.
Impact of lifestyle on children…
Needless to say, the rustic charm of lifestyle and modern living are the gaps that cast an effect on learners. In villages, the home environment may by academically poor and in cities it may be emotionally unhealthy. Academics and emotion are the two sides of a coin which cannot be ignored.
A blend of both brings better results for intellectual and emotional developments. Parents usually impose their thinking on their children but they forget that there is generation gap between them and children. Their time of chalk and talk method of teaching is now obsolete and smart classes have made teaching more joyful and result-oriented.
Handling gender discrimination in schools…
Gender discrimination in school is a matter that needs repeated thinking. In past time, females in India were thinking that their final place of living is at home, so they were not so serious about their studies. But, times have changed and females are now achieving top positions in our country. In co-education schools, we find differences of uniform, games, liking etc but the spirit of equality provides girls an impetus to move step to step with boys with no feelings of inferiority. Intellectually both boys and girls possess the same level of consciousness. Physical level of consciousness is the key-point while making school schedule.
Responsibility of educators…
When an educator imparts knowledge, he must have the responsibility to inculcate knowledge. Similarly accountability plays an important role in the life of educator as well as learner. Here’s what educators should do:
1. The world is a web-like structure where countries, cities and societies are interwoven. We move and develop contacts with people to carry out our day-to-day activities. In students, this skill can be developed by imparting the knowledge of social science and training them to be practical for maintaining peace and harmony.
2. Children are just like a bud and creativity uncurls their petals to make them a complete flower.
3. Language is the medium for expressing thoughts and making their tongue soft and communicable. Knowledge and thoughts can be condensed on paper by writing sets of sentences but the skill of speech develops by practice only.
4. Inspiration is an important factor to build up the career of a knowledge-seeker. The latent talents of students can be uncovered by providing them opportunities to showcase their skills.
5. Churning of thoughts may bring some solutions to make education more fruitful and result-oriented as well.
6. Time is changing fast and the need to fulfill the social and professional demand is also changing accordingly. Try to cope up with the problems for getting right solution at the right time.
7. The mentality of the new generation should be changed to get positive results and that can be done by tackling them in a polite manner without imposing on them our thoughts. Generation gap can be reduced by changing old way of thinking.
8. Some modification in the way of teaching may bring good results. The system of imparting knowledge needs some changes. It’s the duty of a teacher to tell students that education plays a pivotal role in their practical life and it is an important part to brighten their career.
9. Along with education, the moral goodness should be taught for complete development of a learner. The ethical perfection enhances the personality of students and it’s a part of education as well.
10. Sometimes teachers carry their home-skirmishes or shenanigans, which affects their teaching.
11. It is necessary to foster a sense of independence in learners and bring in them love and enthusiasm.
12. Children should feel joy when they enter the gate of the school. This is the reason that more activities are conducted in school. Joy is there where children are free to make mistakes and they learn from their mistakes. Children should not feel that school is a house of captivity rather they should feel it as a place of amusement where they play and learn.
13. The classroom should be clean and walls of the classroom should be painted with various quotes and photos of eminent persons.
14. The classroom is a place where children learn and make various projects and also perform different activities. It’s very much advisable that teachers should admire their work and never criticize them because it breaks the morale of the students.
So, let’s work towards a happy school, where modern way of teaching instills the beauty of knowledge and fragrance of virtues make students a sheltering tree to provide shade and shelter to others.
Dr Hemantkumar Sharadchandra Pandya is not only a qualified teacher and an educational administrator but also a painter and photographer of repute. He has received several awards as Best Teacher and Best Principal. He has published seven books and several newspapers and magazines have carried his articles, paintings and photographs. Presently he is the Principal-cum-Director of Rameshwar Shikshan Sankul and Galaxy Global School, Ahmedabad. He has also won many accolades in painting, photography, etc.